Skip to main content

How to Treat Chronic Constipation with Magnesium Natural Calm

Magnesium in its various forms has been considered an effective remedy for constipation.

Natural Vitality's Natural Calm is a variant of Magnesium Citrate that I have been using now for more than 10 years to deal with chronic constipation.

Possible Causes of Constipation

Most of the information on the web talks about constipation being caused due to lifestyle problems like bad diet and lack of exercise. Accordingly, the treatments that are suggested are:
- Include more fibre,
- Drink more water,
- Increase the level of exercise.

However, constipation can also be caused due to Functional Disorders. For example, people can experience constipation due to Pelvic Floor Dysfunction (Anismus)  Slow Transit or IBS.







Constipation is also a common side effect of medications for a variety of medical conditions. For example, for Fibromyalgia patients, painkillers like (Tramadol, Vicodin, Methadone, Morphine, Fentanyl et cetera) and antidepressants (Amitriptyline, Effexor et cetera).

I have experienced constipation for several years now due to a combination of all of the three reasons mentioned above. Natural Calm has been onof the favourite tools in my arsenal to deal with this condition.

What is it

According to Natural Vitality, the manufacturer of Natural Calm, it is a form of ionic magnesium citrate which is more bioavailable than the actual magnesium citrate. There are actually different forms of magnesium which can be consumed. According to an interview with the author of the book “The Magnesium Miracle”, the best way to start with magnesium supplementation is magnesium citrate.



How I Use It

Natural Vitality claims that the powder can be mixed in either hot or cold water. If the temperature is higher, the chemical reaction of the powder room with the water completes faster and, in theory, you can consume it earlier. I usually prepare the mixture with warm water when I get up and then take one part of the mixture three hours after lunch and the remainder about two hours after dinner. This way I am able to comply with the guidelines of taking Natural Calm between meals and also splitting the doses for better absorption.

Depending on my condition, my dosage usually varies from 1/2 to 2 teaspoonfuls of Natural Calm. If I take 2 teaspoonfuls, I almost always get bloating in the stomach. To keep matters simple, therefore, I have got into the habit of always consuming the mixture in two different portions regardless of the dosage amount.





To determine the timings of taking Natural Calm, you have to consider your meal times and if you feel sleepy after taking it. For me, only the first factor is important. Taking even a half a spoon with water immediately after a meal gives me a bit of gastric distress. I, therefore, always give a space of at least an hour between a meal and a dose of Natural Calm. In the past 10 years, I think I have never had an instance where I felt even a little bit drowsy with Natural Calm. So the second factor of whether I should take it during work timings never applied to me.

Natural Calm is available in a variety of flavors - Raspberry Lemon, Cherry, Lemon, Organic Lemon, Orange and Organic Orange. It is also available from sizes ranging from small sachets for travelling to 4, 8 and 16 ounces bottles. I have tried all the flavors and none of them are palatable. So I now purchase the cheapest of them - the unflavoured version in the largest possible size of  a 16 ounces bottle. And I usually have something sweet like a cookie immediately after drinking it. The flavored ones use stevia as the sweetener.


How Does It Help?

Although Natural Calm is supposed to relax the muscles and provide mental calmness, I really have not seen much effect on me. There are some studies. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence like this and thisConsumer Health also categorizes it under sleep aids . In fact, I was also suggested Natural Calm for the first time to relax muscles and improve the quality of sleep. The laxative action was supposed to be a side effect. However, I found the latter very useful and indeed, life-changing during the early part of my illness. At that time, I had not yet experimented with the other herbs and supplements that were available to promote a bowel movement. However, even after 10 years of experience with different remedies for chronic constipation, Natural Calm is at the top of my list when it comes to reliability.

Due to my medical condition, I have suffered from several episodes of anorectal conditions including painful anal fissures. Natural Calm has been my go-to remedy in all such episodes. I had also recommended it to a few patients who had suffered from anorectal ailments. They found it very useful in managing their bowel movements.

Where to Buy

Over the years, I have tried a variety of websites including VitaCost, GNC and Amazon. In the end, it is usually always Amazon that wins the race.  There was a time when VitaCost  was cheaper but not anymore. I usually buy two 16 ounces bottles that are good for about 8 months. And I make it a point to reorder once I have half a bottle left. I have really seen no long-term effects of taking the product. At the same time, I do discontinue for a week to 15 days after every two to three months depending on the bowel movement patterns. And as I mentioned earlier, this is one of the several remedies I use.

What does Research Say About Magnesium?

Magnesium can seem just like another fad. And it may turn out to be so. However, the chances are reducing as a body of research evidence over the past few decades has supported the fact that magnesium is essential for good health. According to the book  “Curing America’s ill-health by reversing our widespread magnesium deficiency”, magnesium deficiency was discovered in humans only in 1956. Its deficiency was linked to Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain only in the late 1980s and 1990s. Certain medications included within the category of antacids, acid blockers and antibiotics can also cause magnesium deficiency.

From whatever I have understood with my research, there are still several unknowns about magnesium. For example, we cannot still measure magnesium properly. The book  "The Magnesium Factor" says  "Total magnesium levels in blood fluids is shown to be the least sensitive of all magnesium values". However, this is the best possible test that we have so far. If it shows a low value, then you most probably have magnesium deficiency. If it is normal, then it does not mean that you are not deficient.

The jury is still out on what kind of magnesium is absorbed better. There is also a debate on the type of magnesium that is best suited to different medical conditions. What is clear is that Milk Of Magnesia or magnesium oxide is perhaps the worst way to supplement with magnesium.

As mentioned earlier, magnesium citrate is the best way to start. Natural Calm is not the only product out there for magnesium citrate, although it seems to be the most popular.

Is Natural Calm suitable for you?

The book  Curing America’s ill-health by reversing our widespread magnesium deficiency states that "In 1900, magnesium was plentiful in the food and water that we consumed.. But modern large-scale farming and municipal water filtration have removed this precious mineral from our diet. Studies show that we consume only half the magnesium we did 100 years ago." The implication is that almost all of us are magnesium deficient. However, this does not mean that we need to start supplementing immediately with Natural Calm. Educating yourself is important. I recommend reading at least one of the books The Magnesium Miracle or  Curing America’s ill-health by reversing our widespread magnesium deficiency.

Also, since vitamin D, calcium and magnesium interact with each other, you should check for their levels before starting with any supplementation. Also, be aware of the conditions in which Natural Calm is contraindicated.


If you decide to supplement, start with a low dose of 1/2 teaspoon and then gradually increase it every week.

If you have any further queries, please share in the comments section below and I will try to answer it to the best of my ability. Of course, I would love to have your comments on your experience with this supplement.

I wish you good luck on your journey to optimum health!



Comments

  1. Do you know what is magnesium malate?
    Magnesium malate is a form of magnesium where magnesium is bound to malate – aka the salt of malic acid. And you can know more about it in the article https://www.purehimalayanshilajit.com/magnesium-malate/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Use Cavilon to avoid skin damage if you use kinesiology tape regularly

I have found kinesiology tapes to be very useful in managing chronic pain due to fibromyalgia. It has been very useful to me in also managing the pain due to shoulder tendinitis. In fact, kinesiology taping was the only way that I could brush with my right arm when affected with shoulder tendinitis. However, applying tapes repeatedly over the course of several weeks starts damaging the skin and it becomes difficult to remove the tapes also. This is especially true for regions where the skin is a relatively softer like the anterior neck and  area near to armpits. Cavilon has been very helpful to me by making it easier to remove the kinesiology tape thereby reducing the chance of the skin getting damaged. Using Cavilon is straightforward. Just before applying the kinesiology tape, you just spray it over the area on which the tape is to be applied. It is relatively costly but if you have to use the kinesiology tape over a long period, there does not seem to be any other

How US Tax Reform Affects Patients with Chronic Illness

It was messy, but it is finally done and over with! On December 22, 2017 the tax reform bill , or 'a giant tax cut ' as President Trump calls it, has finally been passed by both houses and has been signed into a law. It is not immediately obvious how the tax plan impacts patients with chronic illnesses. Views in the media are often tainted by the political prism through which the commentators tend to look at this issue. Plus there is limited discussion of the specific provisions that can affect patients with chronic illnesses. In this post, I am outlining some of the major provisions of the final bill that may affect chronically ill patients. Bear in mind that I am not a professional in accounting and taxation . However, I seem to have had more than my fair share of tax problems and as a result, I have become overfamiliar with the IRS website and publications. Article continues after the ad To make it easier to wrap our brains around this complex piece

Reduce finger, wrist and forearm pain due to computer mouse usage with Gentle Mouse

If you are reading this on a computer screen, chances are that you would have clicked your mouse at least a couple of times to navigate through this content. And in most cases, the finger used to click would be your index finger. Now imagine doing this repetitive movement every few minutes, day after day, year after year and you can easily infer that your fingers are at an increased risk of repetitive stress injury (or RSI) due to mouse overuse. The common name given to this painful condition is  Mouse Finger .  The 'Finger' in Mouse Finger usually leads a person to believe that the pain is restricted to the fingers alone.  However, from what I have surmised after reviewing anecdotal evidence and medical literature, it commonly presents as a cluster of symptoms in the finger, wrist and the forearm. Perhaps that explains why there are no easily available research studies pertaining to Mouse Finger alone. Most of the research studies consider these symptoms as a part of